But oh! What a recipe!
When Beloved’s out of town on business, I tend to cook simpler things – and more kid-friendly dishes, too, since The Young One is known to have such a picky palate (although that certainly seems to be changing). Last night I got a bit carried away and made something of a feast (and got the boy to eat OKRA!!), of which this dish was a part.
Holy moley – I’ve found boneless, skinless chicken Nirvana.
The recipe is easy as heck, too – cut the chicken into strips, wrap the strips in bacon, brush the strips with the honey mustard mixture, bake the strips until the bacon is golden brown and crisp. Boom, boom, boom, boom.
And any kid that turns them down needs to be seen by a professional – there’s obviously something wrong with their taste buds. And as a certified grownup-almost-old-person, I can honestly say you will enjoy them, too.
Oh, and the recipe says it will feed six. That’s six normal people. Otherwise if feeds you and a teenage boy.
Who will ask for more.
Note: when I made this, I just placed the bacon-wrapped strips in the baking pan and by the time I turned them over, they were just sitting in a ton of bacon fat. Not necessarily a bad thing, of course, but it seemed to be keeping the bacon from crisping up as much as I’d have liked. So I added the step of placing them on a wire baking rack, suspended over the baking dish, in the hopes that this will mitigate that somewhat. Use your best judgment.
|Bacon-Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken Strips|
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 18 strips
- 18 strips thinly sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place a wire baking rack over a baking dish large enough to hold it.
- Wrap each strip of chicken in a strip of bacon, covering the surface of the chicken entirely if possible. Place each strip on the wire baking rack and brush the top with half the honey-mustard mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bacon is beginning to brown. Turn the strips over and brush with the remaining honey-mustard mixture. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes, until the bacon is cooked and golden-brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 443 calories, 28.5g total fat, 87.1mg cholesterol, 699.9mg sodium, 427.7mg potassium, 24.4g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 23.2g sugar, 23.5g protein