It’s Day 14 of the Paleo Iron Chef competition (and I’m doing better than I’d thought, which is nice), and today’s not-so-secret ingredient is Broccoli.
Broccoli is not one of Beloved’s favorite vegetables, unless it’s roasted (although it’s one of the few The Young One will eat, especially if there is cheese involved), so I don’t make it all that often. I love it, though, and since I’ll eat just about any vegetable that’s been roasted, when we eat it that’s usually how we eat it (sprinkled liberally with cheese for The Young One).
I didn’t want to submit that for the competition, though – I mean really, it’s just been roasted – so I had to think of something else to do with it.
I’ve posted a recipe for broccoli salad before, back in the days before The Change In Our Diet, and it’s something Beloved enjoys. Of course, it includes a ton of cheese and commercial mayonnaise, so that was out; besides, I wanted something just a little different. After rummaging around in the pantry, seeing what I had on hand that might be good, I decided to keep the bacon and onion, in smaller quantities, ditch the cheese and add some cashews and raisins.
And it was damn good. Beloved wolfed it down, so I guess I have a new broccoli salad recipe.
Note: if you don’t want to make Better Than Miracle Whip (and you certainly don’t want to use the commercial stuff), combine mayonnaise in the amount called for with a couple of teaspoons of honey and a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar. You’ll get the same flavor, more or less.
- 3 heads broccoli, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (about 1 pound)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup Better Than Miracle Whip
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil; blanch the broccoli for 30 seconds to 1 minute, but no longer. Remove, drain and plunge into an ice water bath until cold. Drain well.
- Fry the bacon until crisp; remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, reserving the fat for another use.
- Combine the broccoli, bacon, onion, cashews and raisins in a large glass mixing bowl. Add the Better Than Miracle Whip, and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend; stir before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 286 calories, 213 calories from fat, 24.3g total fat, 29.7mg cholesterol, 282.2mg sodium, 318mg potassium, 15.2g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 7.4g sugar, 5.1g protein