It’s Day 22 of the Whole30 – the end is in sight! The end is in sight!
Actually, it hasn’t been that hard. In fact, it really hasn’t been hard at all. Yesterday I had 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil and 3 mugs of coffee with coconut milk for breakfast, leftovers for lunch (pork meatballs and kale cooked in a red curry-coconut sauce) and for dinner we had stuffed bell peppers, summer squash sauteed in ghee and a salad of fresh tomatoes from our garden and watermelon. It was all pretty delicious, actually.
At any rate, today’s recipe is one of the dishes I took to our company picnic last Saturday. I made two kinds – standard deviled eggs, and these – and these were by far one of the most popular dishes of the picnic. We had a few of the regular deviled eggs left over; I think one of these was left.
As deviled egg recipes go, this one is pretty good, and there is plenty of filling; if I remember correctly, I had some left over, which Beloved devoured with a spoon. Make sure and buy the best quality of canned crab you can find; it will just taste better. However, if you find the crab has a bit of a “fishy” smell, rinse it thoroughly with cold water and pat dry before mixing it into the egg yolk mixture.
|Crab Deviled Eggs|
- 12 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup lump crab meat, picked over
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise; reserve both the yolks and the whites.
- Mashing with a fork, combine the yolks with the mayonnaise, pickle, celery, onion and Old Bay seasoning until well blended. Stir in the crab; taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the reserved egg whites and arrange on a platter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 188 calories, 16.3g total fat, 212.4mg cholesterol, 156.8mg sodium, 107.4mg potassium, 1.6g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 8.6g protein