Live Real. Eat Real.

Cranberry-Orange Chutney

It’s November already.  I’m not sure how that happened, but it did.  (Well, okay, I know how it happened, it just sort of came more quickly than I expected.)  And because it’s November, that means that Thanksgiving is only 3 weeks away, at least here in the U.S.  Which also means that I begin my yearly obsessing about what to cook.

Over the last couple of years, the decision of what to cook (and eat) has been more of an issue than in the past.  Before we changed our diet, our Thanksgiving menu was pretty cut and dried – I had a very traditional menu that we all enjoyed.  But when we cut out grains, refined sugars and vegetable oils, that changed.  Oh, the first year I kept a lot of the dishes (my grandmother’s cornbread dressing and pumpkin pie comes immediately to mind) and reworked others to make them fit our new way of eating (green bean casserole).  This year, however, things have changed because wheat and dairy will be completely absent from my table.

Hey, if I’m cooking the darn meal, I want to be able to eat it.

One thing that will unquestionably be part of our Thanksgiving meal, though, is this.  I have an old, tried and true cranberry sauce recipe that I love, but in terms of sugar it’s probably 60% by volume.  The last two years I made a different recipe made with far less sugar (and red wine!), and it’s pretty good, but it just wasn’t quite the same.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start a couple of ferments.  One was kimchi, and the other was, well, this.

Fermented Cranberry-Orange Chutney.

And it is so, so, so, so, SO good.

I was going to hold this back for the cookbook (which will be finished one day, I promise), but I’ve gotten so many requests to post it, I decided to give in.  And because it takes a little while for ferments to “mature,” I figured the sooner the better, although you could probably start this 3 or 4 days before Thanksgiving and it would be fine.  But if you want the full benefits – and flavor – of the fermentation, start it a week before you serve it.  It makes quite a bit – 2 quarts – so you’ll have plenty leftover, too.  It will keep for at least a month, and perhaps longer.  Just keep in mind it will grow more tart the longer it ages.

(Some sources say you should eat a fruit ferment within 3 weeks, and others say they will last for many months.  Use your best judgement – if it begins to smell bad (a healthy ferment will not) throw it away.)

Note: The recipe calls for whey.  It’s not completely necessary – the chutney will ferment without it – it will just take longer.  You can obtain the whey by tying a cup or so of full-fat yogurt in a cheesecloth and suspending it over a clean glass or jar in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.  The cloudy liquid that drains into the container is the whey.  You can use what is left in the cheesecloth like you would cream cheese.

Edited to add:  I’ve a minor change to the recipe – the addition of filtered water, if needed.  The beneficial bacteria reproduce best in an anaerobic environment, so you want to keep the submerged beneath the liquid.  This is also the purpose of the coconut oil; it will harden and act as a weight or plug, keeping the ferment adequately submerged.   It should be returned to the ferment every time you put it back in the refrigerator; if it breaks into small pieces, simply throw it away and add more melted coconut oil to replace the old.

Cranberry-Orange Chutney

• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 orange, chopped including peel
  • juice from 1 orange
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 cup of raisins
Instructions
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until uniformly chopped. Transfer to a large, nonreactive mixing bowl and stir in the raisins. Pack into 2 clean quart jars; add filtered water to cover, if necessary. Top with melted coconut oil and seal tightly.
  2. Leave on the counter, out of the sun, for 2 to 3 days, or until the mixture begins to bubble. Transfer to the refrigerator to store.
  3. Nutrition (per serving): 30 calories, 1.3g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 59.6mg sodium, 42.5mg potassium, 5.1g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 3.3g sugar, <1g protein

18 comments

K Ann says:

Oh, yaayyyyy! I’ve been hoping to see this recipe. Can you tell us what size a serving is – 1/4 cup? Thank you so much! This post has made my day.

Jan says:

If I remember correctly, a serving size is two tablespoons. Make it a 1/4 cup, and it’ll just double the nutritional content. :) Honestly, though, I never measure it, just spoon it on a plate. An average serving is probably somewhere between 2 tablespoons and 1/4 cup.

Sigh.
I used to love cooking for Thanksgiving. Absolutely loved it.
Now I dread it … because no matter what, I end up in horrible pain when I cook.
This sounds wonderful though …!!

Lisa says:

We’re doing a simple Thanksgiving this year. Is this really worth not just dumping a can into a glass bowl?

Jan says:

Well, let’s put it this way – it takes about as long to throw this together as it does to open a can of the jellied stuff. You get more of it, it lasts longer, it tastes better and it’s better for you.

And NO high fructose corn syrup.

Be says:

But it doesn’t look like the inside of a can! :(

Brandi Goff says:

can you get it to ferment well without the raisins? we can’t have them in our household but very interested in offering a lacto-fermented option at thanksgiving, wanted to do an entirely Paleo thanksgiving without letting anyone know, heres to hoping i can! haha

Jan says:

The raisins are completely optional; they merely add a little sweetness to the chutney. Which, frankly, is probably plenty sweet without them. I’d be interested in hearing about how you pull off a completely Paleo Thanksgiving without letting your guests know. ;)

Lila says:

Hi Jan,

When you say seal the jar tightly, do I need to make sure I use a new lid? Or is ok to use a lid that has already been used for canning and so the seal is spent?

Thanks,
Lila

Jan says:

Lila, you can use the spent lids; in fact, it would likely be preferable because you want the jar to be able to vent, at least a little, once the fermentation begins. I just used plastic lids for this.

Melissa says:

Will it be ok to use some other than evaporated cane jopuice? I have brown rice syrup on hand and would prefer to use that since I have no other use for evaporate cane juice. Thanks!

Jan says:

Melissa, you can use whatever type sweetener you like; it will still be delicious. Evaporated cane juice is just my natural sweetener of choice. :)

[...] for me.  Maybe I’ll just say, “To hell with it” and serve roasted turkey and fermented cranberry orange chutney.  If you want anything else, cook it [...]

Karen Bowers says:

This is a wonderful recipe. We loved it Thanksgiving day, I gave it to teachers, and it’s now mandatory with my breakfast of yogurt and muesli! Starting my 2nd batch momentarily. Thank you.

Sauerkraut says:

[...] we started with kimchi, which we both happen to love.  I then moved on to fruit chutneys – cranberry-orange is my favorite so far, although I did a peach chutney last summer that was really, really good [...]

Erin says:

I have this fermenting on my counter right now, but I already can’t wait to dig in!
I made a few adjustments based on what I had on hand and my personal tastes: raisins are just plain gross so they were replaced with candied ginger (about 1/4 of the amount), no cinnamon or cloves, macadamia nuts instead of pecans and a ginger bug starter was used instead of the whey. I admit that I had to “taste” quite a few spoonfuls before it went into the fermenting jar. So, so, so good!

Jacqueline says:

how is this dairy free if it contains whey?

Jan says:

I’ve looked over this post/recipe, and I can’t find where I ever claimed it was. *shrugs*

You can certainly leave out the whey. I’ve started to use Pickl-It jars for my ferments, and they specifically state not to use whey when making ferments with their products. So I no longer do.