- 4 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound frozen crawfish tails, thawed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- pinch of cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- In a large skillet or sauté pan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the crawfish, garlic, and bay leaves and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the crawfish for 7 to 10 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Dissolve the tapioca starch in the chicken stock and stir into the crawfish mixture; season with salt and cayenne.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 2 to 4 minutes. Ladle over steamed grated cauliflower or steamed rice; garnish with the parsley and green onions and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 273 calories, 14.2g total fat, 163.4mg cholesterol, 851.5mg sodium, 666.3mg potassium, 13.6g carbohydrates, 1.6g fiber, 4.4g sugar, 22.2g protein.
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/crawfish-etouffee/