- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 cups palm oil shortening
- 1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon tapioca flour or arrowroot powder
- In a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken, and stir to coat; set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour with the salt and pepper. Toss the marinated chicken in the tapioca mixture to coat; shake off any excess before frying.
- In a wok or large, deep skillet, melt the palm oil shortening over high heat to 350 F. Working in batches, fry the chicken cubs until golden brown outside and just cooked through inside, about 4 minutes per batch. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all of the chicken has been fried.
- Drain the hot oil into a heat-proof container, reserving one tablespoon; discard the rest once it has cooled. Wipe down the inside of the wok with a paper towel, but do not wash.
- Reheat the wok or skillet over medium-high heat; add the reserved tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce mixture in the wok and stir to coat well. Transfer to a serving dish; garnish with sesame seeds and sliced scalliions, if desired. Serve with the vegetables of your choice.
- Nutrition (per serving): 504 calories, 31.4g total fat, 73mg cholesterol, 1052.6mg sodium, 601.1mg potassium, 28.3g carbohydrates, 1g fiber, 10g sugar, 27.9g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/general-tsos-chicken/