- 4 cups sliced summer squash (yellow and green)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heaping tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease an 8" X 8" baking dish.
- Melt the tablespoon of ghee in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Increase the heat slightly and add the sliced squash to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until the squash begins to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until hot, but do not boil. Cover and keep warm.
- Layer half the squash in the casserole and sprinkle with half the arrowroot powder; repeat with the remaining squash and arrowroot. Pour the warm coconut milk evenly over the squash.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted ghee with the almond flour until "crumbly." Season lightly with salt and pepper, and sprinkle over the squash mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the almond topping is brown, and the squash is tender. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 206 calories, 17.2g total fat, 9.5mg cholesterol, 357.4mg sodium, 343mg potassium, 9.2g carbohydrates, 3.2g fiber, 2.3g sugar, 1.3g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/summer-squash-casserole/