|Crispy Fried Chicken Livers |
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound chicken livers, cleaned and cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 cups tallow or other fat suitable for frying
- Whisk the eggs, coconut milk and water together in a large mixing bowl. Drop the livers in the egg/milk mixture; cover loosely and allow to sit for about half an hour.
- In a large, shallow dish, stir together the tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Drain the egg/milk mixture from the chicken livers, and dredge them in the seasoned tapioca flour.
- Heat the tallow in a heavy skillet - preferably cast iron - over high heat until it reaches 350 F. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Fry the chicken livers, in batches if necessary, for 6 to 7 minutes, carefully turning once halfway through - cover the skillet with a splatter screen, because the fat will splash and splatter.
- Remove the livers to paper towels and drain briefly. Serve with barbecue sauce, hot sauce or salsa if desired.
- Nutrition (per serving): 452 calories, 33.4g total fat, 442.4mg cholesterol, 1269.4mg sodium, 307.2mg potassium, 16.4g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, <1g sugar, 20.4g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/crispy-fried-chicken-livers/