- 3 pounds assorted apples - the sweeter the better
- 1/2 cup water
- Remove the stems from the apples, and quarter them - do not peel or core them. Add the apples and water to a large stock pot that is large enough to hold all of the fruit with room to spare, as the apples will expand as they
- Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the apples are soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Working in batches, push the cooked apples and liquid through a a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the skins and seeds, or process through a food mill (again, discarding the skins and seeds).
- Taste; sweeten if needed. Makes 2 pints or 1 quart and can be frozen or processed in water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- Nutrition (per serving): 88 calories, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2.2mg sodium, 182.2mg potassium, 23.5g carbohydrates, 4.1g fiber, 17.7g sugar, <1g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/applesauce/