For the lamb:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
For the stew:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the potatoes:
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl, toss the lamb with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cardamom and salt unitl the meat is well coated. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the lamb, and brown well. Remove to a plate, and repeat with remaining lamb.
- Reduce the heat to medium; add the whole garlic cloves, onions and carrots to the pot and sweat for 5 minutes. Stir in the fresh ginger and continue cooking until fragrant, an additional minute or so. Stir in the tomato paste, then return the lamb to the pot and stir in the lemon zest, chicken stock, apricots, and honey.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the lamb is tender.
- About 45 minutes before the lamb is done, preheat the oven to 425 F. In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper until the potatoes are well coated. Spread on a shallow, rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir the roasted potatoes into the stew. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, and serve right out of the pot.
- Nutrition (per serving): 510 calories, 24.5g total fat, 78.4mg cholesterol, 817.4mg sodium, 1309.6mg potassium, 43.4g carbohydrates, 5.5g fiber, 15.8g sugar, 30.3g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/lamb-stew/