|Honey-Mustard Venison Chops |
- 4 six-ounce boneless venison chops
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Season the chops lightly with salt and pepper; dredge in the tapioca flour and shake to remove any excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a heavy skillet over high heat. Sear the venison chops - tops, bottoms and sides - until a brown crust has formed, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan and reduce the heat to medium; add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat and add the apple cider; bring to a boil and stir in the mustard and honey. Reduce the heat again and add the rosemary; simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture is reduced by half, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Return the chops to the pan and spoon the sauce over the top. Remove from the heat; cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 310 calories, 10.7g total fat, 45.9mg cholesterol, 54.7mg sodium, 111.8mg potassium, 16.8g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 3g sugar, 37.2g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/honey-mustard-venison-chops/