- 6 cups cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine the sliced apples with the 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon in a large glass mixing bowl. Allow the apples to macerate for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon the apples into a deep dish pie plate and bake, uncovered. for 25 minutes.
- While the apples are baking, combine the pecan, tapioca and potato flours, evaporated cane juice, coconut, cinnamon and mace in a small bowl. Stir in the melted ghee, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is moist and crumbly, but not wet.
- Spread the pecan topping over the apples and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is brown and the apples are tender. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 338 calories, 17.4g total fat, 7.6mg cholesterol, 5.4mg sodium, 206.4mg potassium, 46.9g carbohydrates, 4.3g fiber, 35.9g sugar, 2.2g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/gluten-free-apple-crisp/