|Roast Beef with Mushroom-Brandy Sauce |
- 2 1/2 pound eye of round roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, divided
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brandy, divided
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or half and half
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 cup beef stock, preferably homemade
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rub the roast with the olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic. Place roast on a vented roasting pan and set in the middle of the oven; roast at 400 F for 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and open the door, leaving the roast
- in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place the probe of an oven safe meat thermometer into the center of the roast; take care that it is not touching bone, fat or gristle. Close the door and set the oven to 200 F. Continue roasting until the thermometer reaches 130 F for rare or 140 F for medium rare. Remove the roast from the oven and loosely tent with foil; allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- While the roast is in the oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat and, taking care not to crowd them, cook the mushrooms until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of ghee to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the onions, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and beginning to caramelize, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Increase the heat under the skillet to medium and return the mushrooms to the pan; add 2 tablespoons of brandy and stir for 20 seconds. Add the coconut milk or half and half and cook, stirring constantly, until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mushroom mixture with the tapioca flour and stir to coat; add the remaining brandy to the pan. Increase the heat to high and stir in the beef stock; bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste, and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Serve the mushroom-brandy sauce over the thinly sliced roast beef.
- Nutrition (per serving): 384 calories, 16.5g total fat, 95.1mg cholesterol, 830.6mg sodium, 911.8mg potassium, 5.9g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 45.5g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/roast-beef-mushroom-brandy-sauce/