|Honey-Lemon Roast Pheasant |
- 1 pheasant
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 lemon, halved and juiced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Whisk together the salt and water in a small stock pot or other large, non-reactive container until the salt is dissolved. Place the pheasant in the brine and cover; refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Whisk together the lemon juice, honey and thyme in a small bowl until well-combined.
- Remove the pheasant from the brine and pat it dry. Allow it to rest on a cutting board while the oven heats, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stuff the cavity of the bird with the reserved lemon rinds and the sprig of thyme; sprinkle with the cayenne pepper. Place the bird breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast the pheasant for 15 minutes at 450 F, then decrease the heat to 375 F and roast for another 20 minutes. Turn the pheasant breast side up and baste with the honey/lemon mixture. Roast for another 30 to 40 minutes,
- basting the bird every 10 minutes, and taking care not to allow the glaze to burn.
- When the thigh of the pheasant reaches an internal temperature of 160 F, remove to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil. Allow it to rest for 15 to 20 minutes before carving and serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 412 calories, 17.5g total fat, 131.7mg cholesterol, 1030.1mg sodium, 532.1mg potassium, 20.5g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 18.1g sugar, 42.5g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/honey-lemon-roast-pheasant/