|Asian-Style Lettuce Wraps |
- 12 leaves Bibb or butter lettuce
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a very gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, whisking often; take care not to let it scorch on the bottom.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool as you cook the pork.
- While the dipping sauce is cooling, brown the pork with the garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tamari and sesame oil; taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and stir in the cabbage and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender, but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the lettuce leaves between four plates and fill with the pork mixture. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- Nutrition (per serving): 587 calories, 48.3g total fat, 81.7mg cholesterol, 644.2mg sodium, 850.1mg potassium, 15.9g carbohydrates, 4.6g fiber, 6.9g sugar, 26.1g protein.
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/asian-style-lettuce-wraps/