- 3 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch collards or other hearty greens, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into small pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously grease a 10" deep dish pie plate.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat in a lar e skillet until brown and crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add the onions to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and reserve with the bacon.
- Add the ghee and collards to the skillet and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Return the bacon and onion to the skillet and lightly toss to combine with the greens. Spread the mixture in the bottom of the pie plate, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Scatter the smoked salmon over the top of the cheese.
- Whisk the coconut milk, eggs, pepper and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl until well-blended. Carefully pour the egg mixture over the greens, cheese and salmon in the pie plate.
- Place the pie plate in a pan large enough to hold it; carefully pour very hot water around the quiche, until it reaches about halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean and the quiche is beginning to turn golden brown on top. Remove from the water bath and cool for at least 15 minutes; cut into wedges and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 313 calories, 26g total fat, 169mg cholesterol, 472.9mg sodium, 318mg potassium, 6.5g carbohydrates, 1.8g fiber, 1.2g sugar, 15.2g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/smoked-salmon-quiche/