|Blood Orange Brussels Sprouts |
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- zest of 1 blood orange
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the 2 tablespoons ghee in a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat; arrange the sprouts, cut side down, in a single layer. Cook undisturbed until nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes (watch carefully so they don’t burn).
- When the sprouts are browned, add the water to the pan and reduce the heat to medium; cover immediately, and simmer until the sprouts are fork tender, about 6 or 7 minutes. (If the water evaporates before the sprouts become tender, add more water, 1/4 cup at a time.) Transfer the sprouts to a plate and keep warm.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and boil off any remaining water. Add the orange juice, zest, tamari and a few grinds of pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, swirling the sauce in the pan, until it’s reduced by half and looks lightly syrupy, about 1 or 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining ghee, and stir until melted.
- Return the sprouts and the walnuts to the pan and gently toss to evenly coat the sprouts with the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed, and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 162 calories, 12.4g total fat, 15.3mg cholesterol, 355.9mg sodium, 397.3mg potassium, 11.1g carbohydrates, 3.8g fiber, 3.8g sugar, 4.9g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/blood-orange-brussels-sprouts/