|Smoky Parsnip-Collard Soup |
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces parsnips, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups collards or other hearty greens, rinsed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces smoked pork, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Heat the ghee in a small stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the onions, celery and red bell pepper until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and the parsnips; reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer until the parsnips are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the soup to the bowl of food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return the mixture to the pot; stir in the remaining ingredients, including the last cup of water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the
- collards are tender.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 293 calories, 13.9g total fat, 56.6mg cholesterol, 1929.4mg sodium, 754.3mg potassium, 21.5g carbohydrates, 7.2g fiber, 6.1g sugar, 21.9g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/smoky-parsnip-collard-soup/