|Pork Chops and Applesauce |
- 8 boneless pork loin chops, about 3 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch allspice
- 2 tablespoons lard or other cooking fat
- 1 cup Homemade Applesauce
- Mix all of the ingredients except the pork chops, lard and applesauce in a small bowl. Rub the pork chops with the spice mixture and allow to rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the lard in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the pork chops until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Lower the temperature to medium-low; cover and continue to cook until the pork chops reach an internal temperature of 145 F, another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the chops from the skillet; cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving the applesauce.
- Nutrition (per serving): 321 calories, 12.5g total fat, 118.4mg cholesterol, 555.8mg sodium, 762.2mg potassium, 12.4g carbohydrates, 2.4g fiber, 8.9g sugar, 38.4g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/pork-chops-applesauce/