- makes about 1 1/4 cups
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or other hard Italian cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dehydrated onion
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 1/4 cups, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool; season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Discard bay leaf before using.
- Nutrition (per serving): 77 calories, 1.3g total fat, 3.7mg cholesterol, 410.1mg sodium, 508.8mg potassium, 13.5g carbohydrates, 2.5g fiber, 7g sugar, 3.2g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/pizza-sauce/