- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup tallow or other fat suitable for frying
- Mix the almond and tapioca flours with the salt, pepper and cayenne in a shallow dish, such as a pie plate. In a small bowl, whisk the egg together with the water. Set aside.
- Melt the tallow or cooking fat in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat to a temperature of 350 F. Toss half the sliced okra in the egg wash and remove using a slotted spoon, allowing the excess to run off. Add the okra to the seasoned flour mixture and lightly toss until well coated.
- Fry the coated okra until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes, turning once about halfway through. Remove the okra from the fat with a spatula or slotted spoon, transferring to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Repeat with the remaining okra. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 395 calories, 32.9g total fat, 74.4mg cholesterol, 492.4mg sodium, 263.8mg potassium, 19.9g carbohydrates, 3.7g fiber, 1.2g sugar, 2.7g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/fried-okra-revisited/