|Beef Liver with Apples and Onions |
- 4 ounces sliced bacon
- 4 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large firm sweet apples, such as Gala, cored, peeled and cut into 2" cubes
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound beef liver, cut into 2-inch by 1-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off the fat, reserving 4 tablespoons.
- Return 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat to the pan and add 2 tablespoons of the ghee. Cook the onions over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until they are softened and beginning to turn golden. Add the apples and continue cooking until the fruit is a light gold color. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, and wine; increase heat to medium-high and continue cooking for 3 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a plate or dish and keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee and bacon fat over high heat. Pat the liver dry, and sprinkle it lightly with salt and pepper. Cook the liver, turning it frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is browned but still slightly pink in the center.
- Divide the liver between four plates and top with the apple and onion mixture. Crumble the reserved bacon over the top, garnish with the chives and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 441 calories, 28.5g total fat, 361.7mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 539.7mg potassium, 16.6g carbohydrates, 1.4g fiber, 8g sugar, 27g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/beef-liver-apples-onions/