- 2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 4 ounces thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Place the potatoes in 3-quart saucepan with a tablespoon of salt; add enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are just fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-low until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tapioca flour, honey, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Whisk the water and vinegar into onion mixture. Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in potatoes and bacon. Continue cooking, stirring gently to coat potatoes, until they are heated through. Serve warm.
- Nutrition (per serving): 232 calories, 8.7g total fat, 12.9mg cholesterol, 325.4mg sodium, 900.7mg potassium, 33.4g carbohydrates, 2.8g fiber, 3.8g sugar, 5.6g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/hot-german-potato-salad/