- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously butter a 10" deep dish pie plate.
- Melt the ghee or butter in a large sauté pan over medium low heat and cook the onion and leek until soft and fragrant; stir in the bell pepper and ham. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper until well blended. Set aside.
- Spread the onion and ham mixture over the bottom of the buttered pie plate and scatter the cheese evenly over the top. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pie plate and carefully transfer to the oven (the dish will be very full).
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until nicely browned on top and a knife inserted in the center of the quiche comes out clean. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 348 calories, 26.6g total fat, 251.6mg cholesterol, 1039.4mg sodium, 336mg potassium, 9.1g carbohydrates, 1.5g fiber, 2.6g sugar, 18.2g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/ham-cheese-quiche/