|Creamy Turkey and Kale Soup |
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium winter squash, such as kabocha, roasted
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth, preferably homemade
- 3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 6 cups kale, stems removed and torn into pieces (about 1 pound)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small stock pot or enameled cast iron Dutch oven, melt the ghee over medium-low heat and cook the onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and cook another minute more.
- Stir the roasted squash into the pot and increase the heat to medium; season lightly with salt and pepper and continue cooking until the squash is heated through. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock until the soup is smooth.
- Add the turkey, kale and red pepper flakes (if using) to the soup; simmer until the kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and season as needed with salt and pepper before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 350 calories, 10.9g total fat, 70.6mg cholesterol, 429.5mg sodium, 1272.5mg potassium, 34.5g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 8.6g sugar, 30.7g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/creamy-turkey-kale-soup/