Makes one quart
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 handful fresh dill sprigs
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 cups filtered water
- Dissolve the salt in the water to make a brine. Set aside.
- Place the garlic, peppercorns, red pepper flakes and half the dill in a clean, wide-mouth quart jar. Fill the jar with the green beans, standing them upright, then add the remaining dill. Add the brine until the jar if filled to 1 inch below the rim of the jar.
- Cap the jar, not too tightly, and keep at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, for 2 to 3 days or until the liquid in the jar beings to bubble. Transfer to the refrigerator.
- Eat within 3 months.
- Nutrition (per serving): 8 calories, <1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 43.1mg potassium, 1.8g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, <1g sugar, <1g protein.
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/dilly-beans/