- 3 tablespoons tallow or lard
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 pounds small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 pint tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef stock, preferably homemade
- Heat the fat in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add the beef and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, uncovered, until the meat is browned, about 5 or 6 minutes. Stir in the paprika, marjoram, caraway, and garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about a minute or two.
- Add carrots, parsnips, tomato sauce and beef stock. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, until the beef is tender and the liquid has begun to reduce somewhat, about an hour.
- Add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Nutrition (per serving): 494 calories, 25.8g total fat, 110.7mg cholesterol, 222.4mg sodium, 1551.8mg potassium, 39.7g carbohydrates, 8.4g fiber, 9.4g sugar, 27.6g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/hungarian-goulash/