- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Fill 3 sterilized pint Ball jars 3/4 full with water, and set them in the empty sous vide. Fill the sous vide with water until it reaches the bottom of the necks of the jars. Remove the jars, pour out the water and wipe them dry with a clean cloth.
- Plug in the sous vide and set the temperature for 107 F. Cover with the lid.
- While the sous vide is coming to temp, combine the milk and cream in a large, heavy saucepan. Over low heat, slowly bring the milk/cream mixture to 180 F; this should take at least 15 to 20 minutes - if heated too quickly, the yogurt may turn out lumpy with a "grainy" texture. Remove from the heat and allow the milk/cream mixture to cool to 110 F.
- Whisk in the yogurt and pour the mixture into the jars, dividing it equally between the 3. Cap the jars and place them in the sous vide for 4 to 5 hours, or until the yogurt has thickened.
- Allow the yogurt to cool on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour, then refrigerate - it will continue to thicken as it becomes cold.
- Eat within a week.
- Nutrition (per serving): 162 calories, 14.1g total fat, 50.3mg cholesterol, 54.7mg sodium, 156.5mg potassium, 5.6g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 5.1g sugar, 3.8g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/adventures-yogurt-making/