|Pressure Cooker Venison Chili |
- 2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 2" cubes
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed tallow
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 2 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Heat the tallow in a 4- to 6-quart pressure cooker over high heat. Sprinkle the venison liberally with salt and pepper and add to the lard; cook, stirring frequently, until the meat is nicely browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, peppers and jalapeno. Continue cooking until the onion has softened, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Lock the lid of the pressure cooker in place and increase the heat to high until the cooker reaches full pressure (15 psi). Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and do a quick release of the pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid from the pressure cooker. Stir; bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chili has thickened to the desired consistency. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 352 calories, 13.3g total fat, 32.2mg cholesterol, 299.9mg sodium, 670.5mg potassium, 22.6g carbohydrates, 4.2g fiber, 12.4g sugar, 37.8g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/pressure-cooker-venison-chili/