|Red Lentils with Spinach and Caramelized Onions |
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red lentils, soaked for 12 to 24 hours (measured before soaking)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, preferably homemade
- 4 cups fresh spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the ghee or butter in a medium saute pan or skillet over medium low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar; remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain the lentils and rinse thoroughly. Combine with the chicken broth and carrot in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until the lentils are done, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover the lentils and stir; they should be very soft and a little soupy. Stir in the spinach and caramelized onions; continue cooking over low heat until the spinach is wilted and the onions are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with a clean dish towel, then the lid and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 195 calories, 5g total fat, 12mg cholesterol, 115.2mg sodium, 565.2mg potassium, 26.9g carbohydrates, 11g fiber, 4.5g sugar, 10.8g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/red-lentils-spinach-caramelized-onions/