Makes about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large red onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a wide, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, sprinkle with a little salt and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft but not brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the wine and honey; reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and almost all of the liquid has cooked out, another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar; season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the jam to cool to room temperature before serving.
- Nutrition Facts
- Nutrition (per serving): 96 calories, 5.9g total fat, 15.3mg cholesterol, 3.7mg sodium, 13.1mg potassium, 9.7g
- carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 4.9g sugar, <1g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/red-onion-jam/