|Even Better Better Than Miracle Whip |
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 3/4 cup cold pressed, high-oleic safflower oil
- Place all of the ingredients except the oil in a tall, narrow glass or plastic container (such as the one that comes with the stick blender). Slowly and carefully pour the oil on top, taking care not to disturb the other ingredients more than you can manage.
- Insert the stick blender all the way to the bottom of the container. Turn it on and leave it there for at least 20 seconds - you'll see the bottom part of the mixture begin to thicken and emulsify. Keeping the blender running, slowly pull it to the top of the mixture. Gently submerge it to the bottom again; repeat the process 2 or 3 times until the mixture is completely blended and thickened.
- Scrape the excess off of the blender into the container and gently mix it in, along with any oil that may remain on the top. Cover and allow it to sit at room temperature for at least an hour before refrigerating.
- Nutrition (per serving): 98 calories, 10.5g total fat, 11.3mg cholesterol, 65.3mg sodium, 4.7mg potassium, 1.3g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, 1.1g sugar, <1g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/miracle-whip-2/