|Gingered Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler |
- For the filling:
- 2 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups hulled and quartered strawberries
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or corn starch
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- For the crust:
- 2 tablespoons evaporated cane juice or granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely diced crystallized ginger
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca or corn starch, and lemon zest. Set aside the mixture for 30 minutes to macerate.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Using the tines of a fork, cut the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk, egg, and crystallized ginger just until moistened. Do not over mix.
- Pour strawberries and rhubarb into a 2-quart casserole dish; drop the cobbler batter by heaping tablespoonfuls on top of the fruit. Sprinkle a little extra sugar over the cobbler topping, if desired.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown and fruit filling is bubbling. Serve warm; top with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- Nutrition (per serving): 304 calories, 9.3g total fat, 52.4mg cholesterol, 189.4mg sodium, 252.4mg potassium, 52.4g carbohydrates, 2.5g fiber, 24.6g sugar, 4.4g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/gingered-strawberry-rhubarb-cobbler/