|Moroccan-Style Lamb Meatballs |
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup finely chopped black olives
- heaping 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- heaping 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 28-ounce can petite-diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth, preferably homemade
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Gently, but thoroughly, combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Form into 24 meatballs and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are in the oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet. Sweat the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes; add the garlic cinnamon stick, cumin and coriander and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients except for the salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the sauce to a simmer and add the meatballs. Continue simmering until the sauce is thickened and the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 494 calories, 29.1g total fat, 165.1mg cholesterol, 899.8mg sodium, 1044.7mg potassium, 25.5g carbohydrates, 6.1g fiber, 6.3g sugar, 35.4g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/moroccan-style-lamb-meatballs/