|Tomato, Okra and Corn Soup |
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth, preferably homemade
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 2 cups corn kernels, freshly cut from the cob
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat; cook the onion until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato puree, chicken broth, okra and corn; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in the Cajun seasoning. Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and the mucilage has cooked out of the okra, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 216 calories, 6.9g total fat, 15mg cholesterol, 358.2mg sodium, 1153.4mg potassium,34.1g carbohydrates, 5.6g fiber, 14.5g sugar, 9.4g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/tomato-okra-corn-soup/