- 1 pound whole new potatoes, preferably Yukon golds
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup sour cream, (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Scrub the potatoes well. Carefully drop them into 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook until tender enough to pierce with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; spread out on a shallow-rimmed baking sheet to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are boiling, cook the bacon in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain; reserve the fat left behind in the pan.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, smash them slightly (still on the baking sheet) with a potato masher or the bottom of a heavy glass measuring cup. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle with the reserved bacon fat.
- Roast the smashed potatoes until crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the bacon and cheese. Return the pan to the oven until the cheese is melted, another 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the snipped chives and dollop with sour cream, if desired, before serving.
- Nutrition (per serving): 235 calories, 16.1g total fat, 36.6mg cholesterol, 283.1mg sodium, 395mg potassium, 14.1g carbohydrates, 1.7g fiber, <1g sugar, 8.8g protein
Recipe by Jan's Sushi Bar at http://www.janssushibar.com/loaded-smashed-potatoes/