I mentioned Monday that we’re just swimming in berries right now. We also have an overabundance of eggs, so we’ve been eating quite a few of those, too.
Over the weekend, I hard boiled two dozen – those that didn’t peel well became Scotch Eggs and the rest became these extremely tasty deviled eggs.
I’m not sure what possessed me to make a pico de gallo and mix it with egg yolks, homemade mayonnaise and diced avocado; well other than the fact that I’ve got lots of onions and the first of the summer’s tomatoes and peppers that also needed to be used, as well as plenty of cilantro from the garden and a couple of avocados that were on sale, as well.
It turns out that it was an inspired idea – these were a delicious lunch, served alongside a salad dressed with my next recipe and some fresh watermelon.
Oh, summer…I just love you.
Make your own mayo, and these are not only vegetarian, but Whole30 to boot – to say nothing of deliciously fresh and zesty.
Note: I’m listing these as an appetizer, although we had them for lunch two days in a row. Because of the avocado, they didn’t keep as well as other deviled eggs do, so it’s best to eat them all when served.
Click on the image to enlarge
- 9 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 small avocado, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the eggs in half, lengthwise. Place the yolks in a large glass mixing bowl, reserving the whites.
- Mash the egg yolks with a fork until crumbly. Mix in the tomato, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, 2 tablespoons cilantro and the mayonnaise until well-blended. Gently fold in the diced avocado. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the reserved egg whites; garnish with the remaining tablespoon of cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 207 calories, 18.5g total fat, 201.5mg cholesterol, 98.9mg sodium, 186.5mg potassium, 3.6g carbohydrates, 1.3g fiber, 1.6g sugar, 7g protein