I think I mentioned in yesterday’s post that The Young One is picky about fish – he pretty much refuses to touch it, unless it’s shellfish – so Beloved and I tend to eat it at lunch. Since our time at lunch is generally limited, I tend to cook fish recipes that are pretty quick and easy. And really, really tasty.
This is one of those recipes.
Really, this dish is simplicity itself and is ready in 10 minutes. It’s a classic preparation of fish, lemon and butter, only due to my issues with cow’s dairy, I substitute ghee – all of the flavor of butter, without the lactose or casein. You can certainly use butter if you prefer, but whatever you do, you should make this dish – it is just delicious.
The pretty purple stuff underneath is a purple cauliflower mash, and it was a great vehicle for the fish. You could serve this over rice or even mashed potatoes and it would taste very good, although it would look a little…one note. The cauliflower was a nice contrast and the light, mild flavor complimented the richness of the ghee and the tartness of the lemon really well. If you don’t care for cauliflower, a winter squash puree – butternut, perhaps? – would be delicious, too.
I used flounder for this dish, which I just love, but you can use any mild, white fish and it will be fine.
Click to enlarge
- 10 ounces flounder or other mild fish
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons [url href=”http://www.janssushibar.com/ghee/” target=”_blank”]Ghee[/url]
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- finely chopped parsley
- thinly sliced lemon
- Lightly season the fish fillets with the salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning.
- Melt the ghee in a saute pan over low heat; stir in the lemon juice. Add the fish to the pan and spoon the ghee/lemon mixture over the fillets. Cover and cook, turning once, until the fish becomes opaque and flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the fish to two warmed plates. Pour the pan sauce over the fish, and garnish with the parsley and lemon slices. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 305 calories, 25.8g total fat, 124.9mg cholesterol, 422.8mg sodium, 241.5mg potassium, <1g carbohydrates, <1g fiber, <1g sugar, 17.9g protein