And here it is, April already.
I’d like to tell you that I’m joking when I say I feel absolutely vile, but I’m afraid it’s all too true. I’ve had a horrid cough since Friday, and thought I had another case of bronchitis, but this morning my sinuses have decided to join in on the act. That feels like allergies, and I suppose it could be – I’m not running a fever. Mostly, though, I’m just really, really tired; I don’t know why I waited until 2 a.m. last night to realize, “You know, there are things in this house you can take for that cough, you silly broad.”
Nyquil is a good thing.
At any rate, I know I have at least one reader that will be glad to see this recipe, which is really good if you are fond of lemon poppy seed anything (I’d considered trying to make a pound cake). They’re not too sweet and not too tart, but have a nice lemon flavor; a really nice Sunday brunch treat. Based on my revised Savory Almond Muffin recipe, they’re also quick and easy to make. You can’t beat that with a stick.
If I had the energy to beat something with a stick. Which I don’t.
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup high-oleic safflower oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously grease 9 cups of a one-dozen muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, baking soda and coconut sugar. Stir the eggs, oil, zest and lemon juice into the almond flour mixture, beating lightly by hand with a wooden spoon, until thoroughly combined. Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter equally between the 9 greased muffin cups. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature
- Nutrition (per serving): 216 calories, 15.8g total fat, 62mg cholesterol, 199.5mg sodium, 174.9mg potassium, 12.7g carbohydrates, 2.4g fiber, 5.2g sugar, 2.4g protein