As you might have guessed, we’ve relaxed our stance on white potatoes a little, especially this time of year when they’re coming into season and are in our CSA basket and so ubiquitous at the farmers market every week. We don’t eat white potatoes much in the winter, when we tend to consume our starches in the form of sweet potatoes and various winter squashes, but for now I really don’t see much of a problem with eating a small portion of these organic (to say nothing of delicious) white potatoes occasionally.
They’re mostly in the form of baby and new potatoes; we rarely, if ever, see Russets or baking potatoes. The problem with that is that the skin of these tiny potatoes is thin and delicate, and you simply don’t peel them. And guess who won’t eat potatoes with skins? (I’ll give you a hint – he’s tall, snarky and perpetually surrounded by a cloud of Axe body spray so thick you can almost see it.)
So, the other night when I was making the Bacon-Wrapped Honey Mustard Chicken Strips, I asked him if he wanted potatoes or rice and he replied, “Potatoes. They’re more filling than rice.” And heaven knows, at his age more filling is better, so I grabbed the potatoes and immediately wondered what the heck to do with them. Me? I like them roasted whole, tossed in a little olive oil and salt and pepper, but I knew there was no way I’d get The Young One, bottomless pit or not, to eat them that way.
Then I remembered the Easy Roasted Potatoes I’d made a few weeks ago, and the enthusiastic response I got from the men of the house, both old and young. So I found myself cutting the smaller of the baby potatoes in half and quartering the larger ones to expose some of the interior. Then I tossed them with some melted ghee, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese and roasted them until they were crisp.
The verdict? “These potatoes are a gift from the gods.”
I’d call that a win.
|Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes|
- 1 pound baby potatoes, such as Yukon golds
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ghee or clarified butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Wash the potatoes and pat them dry; halve the small ones and quarter the larger ones. Place the potatoes in a large bowl; drizzle with the melted ghee, and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Stir with a large spoon until the potatoes are coated.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on a large, shallow-rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are crisp and golden brown.
- Nutrition (per serving): 139 calories, 9g total fat, 24mg cholesterol, 78.4mg sodium, 351.5mg potassium, 12.2g carbohydrates, 1.3g fiber, 1g sugar, 3.1g protein