Happy Monday, all; I hope you had a great weekend. We certainly did, despite the fact Beloved came home Saturday morning on the red-eye from San Francisco. The weather was wonderful; we got quite a bit done in the way of housework and yard work and generally had a nice couple of days.
And now we’re back at work. *sigh*
At any rate, I’d taken out a hanger steak for our dinner Saturday, but with all the activity time got away from me and we ended up having great big omelets with mushrooms, onions, sausage and Kerrygold aged white cheddar. Saturday’s dinner plans became Sunday’s dinner, and it was darn tasty.
I’d originally planned to pan roast the hanger steak and finish it with sautéed onions and mushrooms in a red wine sauce, but the weather was so lovely yesterday evening that Beloved decided to fire up the grill. I still sautéed some mushrooms and onions, but grilling turned out to be the best way to cook the steak – it was just wonderful.
I stuck with my planned side dish, though. This is a variation of a recipe for Roasted Beets with Wilted Greens I posted way back in February 2010, before we changed our diet. I’ve tweaked it a bit, and used the beautiful golden beets we’d picked up at the store on Saturday.
I know many people aren’t fans of beets, but golden beets are a tad sweeter, as well as a tad less “earthy”, than red beets, and roasting really brings out their sweetness. The greens are delicious, as well as incredibly nutritious; sautéed with onion and garlic, brightened with a bit of balsamic vinegar and tossed with the roasted beets this is an easy and surprisingly good side dish.
This is not only Whole30 compliant, but vegan as well.
- 4 medium golden beets with greens
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Wash the beets thoroughly and cut off the greens. Rinse the greens, removing the large stems and tearing them away from any thick center veins, and set aside.
- Without peeling them, place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Cover, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife.
- Set the beets aside until just cool enough to handle; rub the skins off under running water then slice about 1/2" thick.
- Once the beets are cooked, heat the remaining the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften; add the garlic and cook for another minute more. Add the
- beet greens to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they are wilted and tender. Stir in the vinegar; taste and season as needed with salt and pepper.
- Stir the sliced beets into the greens until heated through. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 132 calories, 10.3g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 65.5mg sodium, 284.9mg potassium, 9.5g carbohydrates, 2.4g fiber, 6.5g sugar, 1.5g protein