Well, I’m late again today. It’s the 20th of the month – and no, it makes no difference that it’s April No, it’s quarterly tax time, and I’ve spent my day cursing the individual governments of about 40 different states.
At any rate, there was also no thread over at the r/paleo Reddit board for Day 5 of the Paleo Iron Chef competition until this evening – and today’s not-so-secret ingredient is Tomatoes! While considered a vegetable by most, tomatoes are really a fruit; they’re also an excellent source of potassium, calcium, and vitamins A and C. There are around 7,500 varieties of tomatoes, and as an ingredient they’re extremely versatile – hot or cold, cooked or raw, tomatoes are delicious.
They’re also quite tasty frozen, as this sorbet proves. Not at all sweet, it’s sort of like a spicy, frozen guacamole and is meant more as a palate cleanser rather than a dessert.
Beloved devoured it.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large ripe avocados
- sea salt, to taste
- Blend the tomatoes, tomato juice, water, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, lime juice, hot sauce and cayenne in a blender or food processor until smooth. Push through a food mill; discard solids. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, and freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions. Spoon into a container with a lid, and place in the
- freezer until ready to use.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in a small skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion until tender and translucent, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Place in a blender and puree until smooth; strain through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids. Set aside.
- Slice the avocados thinly and divide among 10 small plates, fanning out the slices to form a flat surface. Sprinkle the avocado with lime juice and sea salt.
- Place 1 scoop sorbet on top of the avocado slices on each plate and drizzle with a teaspoon of the onion oil. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 128 calories, 11.1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 406.4mg potassium, 7.6g carbohydrates, 3.4g fiber, 3g sugar, 1.6g protein