Well, I’m late again today. It’s the 20th of the month – and no, it makes no difference that it’s April 😛 No, it’s quarterly tax time, and I’ve spent my day cursing the individual governments of about 40 different states.
At any rate, there was also no thread over at the r/paleo Reddit board for Day 5 of the Paleo Iron Chef competition until this evening – and today’s not-so-secret ingredient is Tomatoes! While considered a vegetable by most, tomatoes are really a fruit; they’re also an excellent source of potassium, calcium, and vitamins A and C. There are around 7,500 varieties of tomatoes, and as an ingredient they’re extremely versatile – hot or cold, cooked or raw, tomatoes are delicious.
They’re also quite tasty frozen, as this sorbet proves. Not at all sweet, it’s sort of like a spicy, frozen guacamole and is meant more as a palate cleanser rather than a dessert.
Beloved devoured it.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cored
- 3/4 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large ripe avocados
- sea salt, to taste
- Blend the tomatoes, tomato juice, water, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, lime juice, hot sauce and cayenne in a blender or food processor until smooth. Push through a food mill; discard solids. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, and freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions. Spoon into a container with a lid, and place in the
- freezer until ready to use.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in a small skillet or sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion until tender and translucent, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Place in a blender and puree until smooth; strain through a fine-mesh sieve and discard the solids. Set aside.
- Slice the avocados thinly and divide among 10 small plates, fanning out the slices to form a flat surface. Sprinkle the avocado with lime juice and sea salt.
- Place 1 scoop sorbet on top of the avocado slices on each plate and drizzle with a teaspoon of the onion oil. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Nutrition (per serving): 128 calories, 11.1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 406.4mg potassium, 7.6g carbohydrates, 3.4g fiber, 3g sugar, 1.6g protein