And that’s all I have to say about that.
Personal (read: unbloggable) life keeps rolling on, eating up a lot of my time, but at least I’m not bored. At any rate, I do have a really tasty recipe for you today.
If you were at all wondering what to do with any leftover ground lamb/liver/bacon from the Lamb Dirty Rice – and there will be – this recipe is it.
Boy, is it…it.
I’ve gotten to the point where, if I want The G Man to eat something he doesn’t like (anything that resembles a vegetable, for example), I hide it in meatloaf or meatballs. The Young One, too – he absolutely loathes zucchini and summer squash, but he’ll scarf it down if I shred it and stick it in a meatloaf. This recipe hides nutrient-dense liver – you can’t even tell it’s there, with all the bacon and spices.
These come together really quickly, are ready in less than 20 minutes and simply just delicious. You can use just about any ground meat/liver from the appropriate animal you like, too (chicken, beef, pork) – the bacon keeps the meatballs moist and you can adjust the spices to suit your personal tastes.
These would be quite good served with the Red Onion Jam I posted earlier this week.
Note: Make sure your bacon is “clean” and these are Whole30 compliant. (Oh, look – I still do that.)
Click the image to enlarge
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 3 ounces lamb liver, finely chopped
- 6 ounces bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, gently combine all of the ingredients until well mixed. Form into 16 meatballs of equal size, and place on the slotted top of a broiler pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center. Serve with Red Onion Jam.
- Nutrition (per serving): 428 calories, 35.3g total fat, 195.7mg cholesterol, 902.48mg sodium, 346.5mg potassium, 5.3g carbohydrates, 1.1g fiber, <1g sugar, 21g protein