Well, hello there.
Nothing yesterday – Only Brother and his beautiful family were here for an extended weekend (they drove all the way from Texas), and I had neither the time nor the inclination to post. I’m also suffering from bronchitis for the first time in over 2 years; I used to get it twice a year ever since I quit smoking but hadn’t had it once since we changed our diet, until now. I think it has more to do with stress and overwork than anything – we’ve just been so busy lately, and have barely had any time at all to rest.
At any rate, I have a really nice recipe for you today. We had a run of very cool weather early last week; the kind of cool weather that makes you crave warm soups and stews. I was also craving Mexican, and had some beef short ribs in the freezer, as well as some roasted peppers and chilies we’d canned last summer. It wasn’t long before I was dragging out the crock pot and tossing ingredients in it.
It was absolutely wonderful – even The Young One ate it enthusiastically, and Beloved went back for thirds; there were literally no leftovers. It also couldn’t be easier; simply toss everything in the crock pot and let it cook on high for 6 hours. The result is wonderfully flavorful beef that just falls off the bones, hence the shredding and mixing with the blended cooking liquid. If you don’t have an immersion blender and don’t wish to transfer the cooking liquid to a conventional blender or food processor, don’t worry – it will be every bit as good with an unblended sauce.
If you leave out the coconut sugar, this is Whole30 compliant.
|Spicy Slow Cooker Short Ribs|
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup beef stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients except the short ribs and onions; pour into a large slow cooker.
- Cut the ribs into about 4 sections each and add to the liquid in the slow cooker with the onion. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the slow cooker and separate from the bones; shred with two forks. Set aside and keep warm.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the liquid in the slow cooker until smooth. Pour 1 cupful over the shredded beef. Serve over steamed, grated cauliflower, steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- Nutrition (per serving): 479 calories, 23.9g total fat, 133.8mg cholesterol, 947.7mg sodium, 1322.4mg potassium, 17.5g carbohydrates, 3.3g fiber, 8.8g sugar, 46.5g protein