This past winter, I went on something of a casserole kick – since we’re well into the warm weather, I think I’m going to do a lot of salads. Especially while lettuces are so abundant at the farmer’s market.
Strawberry season is also in high gear here in northeast Ohio and I found myself with a few that needed to be eaten before they were fit for nothing but the compost bucket. Add to that some honey-infused chevre from Mackenzie Creamery and a handful of pistachios and you have the beginning of a really nice salad.
But what about the salad dressing, you (reasonably) ask? Well, a balsamic vinaigrette is pretty much the rule when making a salad that contains strawberries, but who wants to play it safe? Especially when you have some dark chocolate balsamic vinegar from The Olive Tap on hand. It couldn’t be simpler to make – it’s just olive oil, the vinegar and a pinch of salt, and it elevates the salad above the same old, same old.
Of course, if you don’t have the honey goat cheese and the dark chocolate balsamic, this will still be a lovely salad with a plain chevre and good-quality balsamic.
|Strawberry Dark Chocolate Balsamic Salad|
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 ounces honey-infused chevre
- 1 ounce pistachios
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate balsamic vinegar
- pinch kosher salt
- Divide the salad greens between two plates; top with the strawberries, nuts and cheese.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar and salt together in a small bowl until well combined. Drizzle over the salads and serve.
- Nutrition (per serving): 315 calories, 26.1g total fat, 13mg cholesterol, 260.6mg sodium, 403.3mg potassium, 12.3g carbohydrates, 3.7g fiber, 5.6g sugar, 9.7g protein